From Analog Africa :
"After being blown away by a few tunes – probably just as you will be after listening to this - Samy Ben Redjeb travelled to the infamous capital city of Somalia in November of 2016, making Analog Africa the first music label to set foot in Mogadishu.
On his arrival in Somalia Samy began rifling through piles of cassettes and listening to reel-to-reel tapes in the dusty archives of Radio Mogadishu, looking for music that "swam against the current".
The stars were aligned: an uncovered and unmarked pile of discarded recordings was discovered in a cluttered corner of the building. Colonel Abshir - the senior employee and protector of Radio Mogadishu's archives - clarified that the pile consisted mostly of music nobody had manage to identify, or music he described as being "mainly instrumental and strange music". At the words "strange music" Samy was hooked, the return flight to Tunisia was cancelled...
Mogadisco was not Analog Africa's easiest project. Tracking down the musicians - often in exile in the diaspora - to interview them and gather anecdotes of golden-era Mogadishu has been an undertaking that took three years. Tales of Dur-Dur Band's kidnapping, movie soundtracks recorded in the basements of hotels, musicians getting electrocuted on stage, others jumping from one band to another under dramatic circumstances, and soul singers competing against each other, are all stories included in the massive booklet that accompanies the compilation - adorned with no less then 50 pictures from the '70s and '80s.
As Colonel Abshir Hashi Ali, chief don at the Radio Mogadishu archive - someone who once wrestled a bomber wielding an unpinned hand-grenade to the floor - put it: 'I have dedicated my life to this place. I'm doing this so it can get to the next generation; so that the culture, the heritage and the songs of Somalia don't disappear.'"
1. Dur-Dur Band - Daradaa Muxibo (Because of you Muxibo) 05:20
2. Omar Shooli - Hab Isii (Hug Me) 05:35
3. Mukhtar Ramadan Iidi - Check Up Your Head 05:50
4. Bakaka Band - Geesiyada Halgamayow (Brave Fighters) 05:49
5. Fadumo Qassim & Shareero Band - Waakaa Helaa (I like you) 06:21
6. Iftin Band - Sirmaqabe (No Secrets) 06:29
7. Mukhtar Ramadan Iidi - Baayo (Hey Woman) 05:35
8. Shimaali & Killer - Hoobeya (Somali traditional chant) 05:11
9. Dur-Dur Band - Shaleedayaa (By Myself) 03:44
10. Dur-Dur Band - Ladaney (Woman's Name) 05:05 video
11. Bakaka Band - Gobonimada Jira (Choose Freedom) 08:33
12. Iftin Band - Ii Ooy Aniga (Cry For Me) 03:37